Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Father's Day


Sunday was Father’s Day, and I spent another Father’s Day without my father. No phone call to him after 7:00 p.m. to wish him a Happy Father’s Day. I would wait until that time of the day to call, he would usually be home from playing golf by then. My father loved to play golf, there were times on the weekend when he would spend the entire day playing golf with his buddies. As he got older he wasn’t able to play as much, and eventually not at all.
I remember one summer when I was visiting my father, we were on our way to the grocery store, and lo’ and behold the smooth jazz radio station was playing. I could not believe my father and I enjoyed listening to the same type of music. I didn’t know until the day of his funeral that one of his favorite songs was Wind Beneath My Wings (my favorite also) which was played in honor of the celebration of his life.
I guess you could say my father was my Hero. I am so grateful for the work ethics he instilled in me as a little girl that have followed me throughout my life. He also taught me to never be late for anything, I guess he believed in "The early bird catches the worm."
Even though my father is no longer here, I still wished him a Happy Father’s Day in honor of everything he taught me and the wonderful memories I have of him.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Ebby,
Although I only had the privilege of knowing your Dad for a short time, I grew to love him as my own Grandfather. I remember sitting at the table at his house with Tolina, she would not let him hold her but she sure like watching what he was doing. I still regret that I did not get a picture of that time we were there visiting.
kim